Thursday, April 9, 2009

A return to form, and a response to criticism

I apologize to my followers for my unexpected hiatus. Things have come up, making it difficult to find time to devote to blogging, but I am far from abandoning this project.

The backlash from my previous article, How Metal Gear Solid ruined gaming, was a bit of an upset for me. It seems many people on the internet are more interested in making snap judgements based solely on a headline (or, say, a review score) than in reading what a person actually has to say about a topic. I shouldn't be surprised, but somehow I was still taken aback. It's quite ironic that, in an age of digital albums, podcasted editorials, and literature in mp3 audio format, people still tend to judge a book by its cover.

For those of you who read, understood, and commented on my article, thank you. Even if you disagreed with me, that's perfectly fine with me. I still appreciate the fact that you took the time to read my opinions on cinematic gaming, and I welcome healthy debate on the topic. For the record, all of the games I mentioned in the article are personal favorites of mine. All would receive at least a 4 out of 5 score if I were to give a full review to them. My point was merely that cutscenes, voice acting, and intricate plots do not necessarily improve a game, and could bog down a game in which they do not fit. Several of you got that. Unfortunately, a much larger percentage of the population did not, and did not care to.

Honestly, I chalk it up to the illogic that is fanboyism. Me? I play what I like. If I don't have the console that offers what I want, I buy it as soon as it becomes practical (and affordable). If a console I have does not offer what I want, I set it aside for another that does until it becomes relevant again. I own nearly every major console and portable of the past three generations. I have no favorite consoles, just favorite games. (Full disclosure: I do not have a PlayStation 3… yet. I do not currently consider it practical, or most of all, affordable. When it is, I will buy one.)

So for those of you who are interested, I am working on a new review, a new editorial, an observational article, and of course, Part III of my list of Classic Nintendo games that haven't been remade, but should be, any of which should be appearing soon, ("soon" being as soon as they're completed) so if you're not already a follower, and you're interested, keep checking back in the coming weeks. I'm not going anywhere!

1 comment:

  1. don't worry, soon "book by it's cover" will be "mp3 by it's file name"

    ReplyDelete